it’s April 19th and I’m just finally sitting down now to do my March update. Which pretty much sums up 2018 for me so far… I don’t know why, but I just can’t seem to get my shit together, especially on the financial end of things. But more on that in a future post… For now, let’s get to our March numbers!
- $10,722 in RESP contributions – We contributed $1,080 in March, bringing our year-to-date total to $4,140, so we’re well on track here.
- Make at least 5 extra mortgage payments – None made yet. Still waiting on that arbitration ruling… Even once the ruling is in, it will take several months to implement the new collective agreement, so I likely won’t get my backpay until the second half of 2018, meaning I likely won’t make any progress on this goal until then.
- Annual spend under $75K, including at least 4 months under $6K and at least one month under $5K – Our January spend was ultra-low, our February spend was ultra-high, and in true Goldilocks fashion, March clocked in at $6,113.12, which is decent but not good enough to offset our spendy February (or even spendier April)… Our year-to-date total is $21,016.95, so we’re off target here (and sadly, it’s only gonna get much, much worse once I do my April update). Some expenses of note this month:
- just over $600 for sports-related expenses, including registration fees for a ringette tournament for our daughter, soccer for the boys, and swimming lessons for all 3 kids and myself (I’m doing a try-a-tri – basically a mini-triathlon – this summer and need to re-learn how to swim!), etc.
- over $550 for Simply Made, which includes lifetime supplies of certain ingredients and containers for my homemade deodorant, and new logos and labels!
- over $450 for a very unexciting, but necessary, furnace repair.
- NOT incur any consumer debt – None incurred, so on track. Unfortunately though, we’ve somehow blown through our entire emergency fund this year (I wasn’t kidding when I said above that things have been tough financially!), so we have no more cushion. Which means this goal is gonna be tough if we incur any more unexpected expenses before we can build the reserve back up.
- Assemble a binder of financial information – I’ve started this and have a pretty solid, comprehensive spreadsheet going. Still need to complete it, and figure out a safe way to store it – on track.
- Double my Simply Made sales ($650 in 2017) – I made $192 in sales in March, bringing my year-to-date total to $302, so a bit off target here.
Very meh so far… and it’s gonna get worse before it can (hopefully) get better… I just have to try to stay positive – there’s lots of calendar left to pick things up!!